Digitizing Paintings for Art Quilts

Original Painting Design on Paper

Original Painting Design on Paper

 

I have been exploring the making of painted designs for printing on silk to use in quilts.  This one came from my online class with Jane Davies on Sketchbook Practice.  The original painting is done with acrylic paints on 9 X 12 cheap but nice white sulphite drawing paper from Dick Blick.  It was done, not as a finished composition, but one to be cut up and collaged in different arrangements.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the 9 X 12 mixed media sketchbook I created a paper collage study with the cut up pieces of the painting.

GreenCircles Paper Collage Study

GreenCircles Paper Collage Study

 

 

I had photographed the original painted image at a high resolution before I cut it up.  I could have used a scanner but would have lost some of the edges of the painted design which was larger than my scanner bed. The image size is 2460 X 3408.  I printed the painted design twice onto FabriSign treated charmeuse silk from Jacquard Inkjet Fabrics cut to size 16″ X 24″ ——at about twice their original painted size.  I used two different color controls, Photoshop control and printer control.  The Photoshop controlled color gave intenser colors and blacks, while the printer control yielded browner tones.  Not liking the printer controlled print as much I added some acrylic paint to it, mostly more green areas and some stamped black.  Below is shown the two different digital prints before added painting. The one on the bottom is the Photoshop controlled.  I am sorry I didn’t photograph after painting on the silk.

GreenCircles2_DigitalPrints

I applied fusing (WonderUnder) to the back of both prints and proceeded to cut them up.  After a few initial explorations of placements I decided to work on three prepared (backing and batting all fused together) 12X12 inch quilt sandwiches.

 

One of the 12 X 12 inch pieces being composed

One of the 12 X 12 inch pieces being composed

 

Here are the three fused quilts before stitching. Feeling the need for more orange in the compositions I added some painted solid colored orange strips. (I have taken to using old texture printing experiments to paint on.)   Knowing what paint I used I was able to pretty closely match the digital print color with the Golden fluid acrylics that I used. I painted a variety of tints of the color so I had choices. The painted fabric areas did not give me any problem with stitching.

The Three Before Stitching

The Three Before Stitching

 

And here are the three quilts after stitching.

GreenCircles#2_stitched

Green Circles #2 Stitched


GreenCircles#1_stitched

Green Circle #2 After Stitching


GreenCircles#3_stitched

Green Circles #3 After Stitching

I like the reproduction of the brush strokes and the subtleties of color variation in some of the painted areas as well as the slight texture visible in the orange painted fabric areas. I also really like the reproduction of my original mark making even or especially at twice their original size. I feel the loss sometimes of this kind of mark making in my digital art world.  As well I like the ability to go back and forth layering the different processes.

 I think this use of painted designs on paper to digitally reproduce on cloth has loads of possibilities, some in combination with photographed and/or digitally designed images.  I  am eager to try out other ideas.  And I will be photographing other “just painted for collage use” papers, so that I can print them on fabric.

Now all I have to do is decide on presentation.  I am thinking of mounting them on 12 X 12 canvas or linen panels, probably black.

Comments are closed.