- Visions Art Museum to feature recent work by Charlotte Ziebarth April 13, 2017
- Layered Voices, a SAQA traveling exhibit opens April 4 March 31, 2017
- Design Play for Next Quilt Series February 15, 2017
- Playing with Photo and Painting Combos December 8, 2016
- Liquid Moonlight opens in Breakout: Quilt Visions 2016 October 15, 2016
- 2016 SAQA Auction is coming up soon August 29, 2016
- 34th Annual New Legacies: Contemporary Art Quilts July 2, 2016
- Art in The Embassies — Ulaanbaatar June 6, 2016
- Painting classes with Jane Davies May 5, 2016
- EDGE exhibit at Sunderland Gallery April 28, 2016
Category Archives: Digitized embroidery
I sent off my quilt, Marsh Morning Mists, to the Carnegie Center for the Arts for the annual Form Not Function Exhibition of art quilts opening in May. I am fond of the various transparent layers of imagery in this quilt. The heron images came from a photo I took at the Bodega Headlands in California in the winter of 2011. It was a very foggy day and the bird’s image was not very clear. I cropped it, selected out part of [...]
My very modest entry into the world of digitizing embroidery is featured today at Mr. X Stitch Check out their other featured artists and their unique embroidery possibilities. I know there are others out there using digitized embroidery in interesting ways. Stay tuned for future posts.
Opening tonight at the Longmont Museum and Cultural Center (Colorado) is an exhibit sponsored by the Northern Colorado Weaver’s Guild. It features a variety of contempoary fiber art, and runs from March 10 thru April 29.
My quilt, Autumnal Equinox #2: Hints of Frost, is in the exhibit and is featured on the cover of the member newsletter.
Although you can digitize any drawing for the purpose of embroidering, I really like the drawings that result from my photographs. Another example is shown below. A photo was taken on a crisp cold walk along Lake Granby in the mountains of Colorado. Zeroing in on the details of the grasses revealed interesting silhouettes. Wouldn’t it be great to embroider grasses?
Isolating a few blades of grass and cropping the image yields something that can be turned into a black and white drawing, cleaned [...]
For the past couple of years I have been learning how to digitize my drawings using the Bernina Embroidery software for a Bernina artista 730 with embroidery module. The software is often used for embroidering logos, teddybears, or exotic embroidery from times past. I have thought there were untapped possibilities for using digitzed embroidery on my stitched digital art quilts.
I start with a photo that has simple lines, as [...]